Search

Laura Shipman MUA

Makeup for musicians and performers

Tag

cosplay

Aggy G: behind the Scenes

20160505_164557.jpg

I’ve got Aggy made up and in costume. The crescent moon is a throw back to an anime I used to love, Sailor Moon, but I kept everything in black and silver to go with the armour. I chose plaits for the hair both because I think they suit the look and because I love the way plaits look in ombre hair. The black maxi dress was used to hide any holes in the scales, and once it was cut to length the extra fabric made a great cover for Aggy’s festival wristbands.

It’s off to the park to shoot! I’m lucky that just across the road from my house is a park with lots of different possible back drops. There’s all kinds of plants and trees, bridges and a rock garden. My only worry is the sun (as much as I’m loving the beautiful weather) it can make taking photos a lot harder.

Advertisements

Dragon Armour Tutorial

20160211_163810
Supplies to make the scales

Materials:

300 plastic spoons
1 can metallic black spray paint
1 can metallic silver spray paint
Twine or cord (strong but not too thick)
Thread
Fishnet vest

Equipment:

Pliers
Drill and 2 mm drill bit
Needle

Step 1:
Cheap plastic spoons are soft, so it’s easy to remove the handles with pliars.20160216_171712

Step 2:

Drill 2 small holes in the top of each spoon.

20160217_180919

Step 3:

Spray paint the spoons somewhere well ventialted.
I did 200 black and 100 silver. I laid the first lot (close together to save paint) and sprayed them black. I ended up using the whole can making sure everything was covered. I then set out the second lot and sprayed them silver. Spray paint takes a while to set so choose somewhere you can leave the spoons for however long it says on the can.

20160218_130019

Step 4:

Begin assembling the armour.
I used a fishnet top for the base so I could weave the cord through it once the spoons were threaded on.
I measured a length of cord twice as long as the width of the top to make sure I had enough. I started from the middle, so I could get the silver scales in the right place and then worked out from there. I threaded the cord through the holes in the spoon, and then through the net.20160328_153413

I staggered the silver spoons up the middle in a 1-2-1-2 pattern, because if I tried to do a single line it wouldn’t have lined up right.20160328_164832

Step 6:

I planned out the silver scales around the neck line. I then used a needle and thread to stitch the scales to the solid fabric around the neckline.
When I tried the armour on I found holes in the top section, so I went back in and sewed more scales in the gaps.

20160328_191611

The finished armour will be revealed in my shoot with Aggy G!

Any questions about this project get in touch !

 

 

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: