This shoot with Dalli Sixx not only gave me the chance to try war paint for the first time (in aqua colour because it didn’t have to stand up to a stage show), it gave me the chance to brush off my photography skills for the first time in a while.
The purple doesn’t show up in the photos as clearly as it did in person, next time I do Dalli’s make up I’ll use brighter purples. Other than that I’m really happy with how the pictures turned out.
These are a few behind the scenes shots from today’s shoot with Michelle and Bashir.
We shot 2 looks, the boudoir look and the creative paint splatter look. I spent a lot of the day on lighting duty, because we were experimenting with coloured gels and movement. To get the colours to look right they had to be angled in the right way.
This was a really fun experimental shoot, and I can’t wait to see the results!
300 plastic spoons
1 can metallic black spray paint
1 can metallic silver spray paint
Twine or cord (strong but not too thick)
Drill and 2 mm drill bit
Cheap plastic spoons are soft, so it’s easy to remove the handles with pliars.
Drill 2 small holes in the top of each spoon.
Spray paint the spoons somewhere well ventialted.
I did 200 black and 100 silver. I laid the first lot (close together to save paint) and sprayed them black. I ended up using the whole can making sure everything was covered. I then set out the second lot and sprayed them silver. Spray paint takes a while to set so choose somewhere you can leave the spoons for however long it says on the can.
Begin assembling the armour.
I used a fishnet top for the base so I could weave the cord through it once the spoons were threaded on.
I measured a length of cord twice as long as the width of the top to make sure I had enough. I started from the middle, so I could get the silver scales in the right place and then worked out from there. I threaded the cord through the holes in the spoon, and then through the net.
I staggered the silver spoons up the middle in a 1-2-1-2 pattern, because if I tried to do a single line it wouldn’t have lined up right.
I planned out the silver scales around the neck line. I then used a needle and thread to stitch the scales to the solid fabric around the neckline.
When I tried the armour on I found holes in the top section, so I went back in and sewed more scales in the gaps.
The finished armour will be revealed in my shoot with Aggy G!
I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to be making a performance mask for Varski.
This is still an early stage in the sculpting process (about 6 hours in), there’s still a lot of detailing and refining to do but I’m really happy with the direction I’m going in. The hard part was resisting some of the intricate sculpting details I wanted to add in that would be invisible from a distance, especially during a stage show, and might block or limit the size of the nostril hole, which is a big concern with a singer.
I’ll be moulding on Thursday, so with any luck I’ll be trialling paint next week!
I have a new project underway that I’m really excited about (details to follow soon), because it’s giving me a chance to break out my prosthetics skills again
I made my positive out of fiberglass, because it’s cheap, lightweight and strong. Also, if I want to make my finished piece out of foam latex, the fiberglass can be baked in the oven.
A fiberglass piece is made of 2 layers; a gel coat and layers fiberglass matting soaked in. resin. Usually the insert would be white, but I didn’t add as much silicone pigment as I thought to the gel coat.The advantage of a white insert is that it makes it easier to see the shape of the sculpt you’re working on, especially if the chavant (sculpting clay) you use is green.
This was my first test with my new Ben Nye Clown White. I’m definitely a fan. It covered really well with a minimal amount of product, and even a light coverage gave a really good colour. The product also builds well; I was able to apply thicker layers to create the effect of teeth and it visibly shows up in the photo.
My only concern with the product was that it did pick up some of the areas where my skin is a bit dry at the moment, however this doesn’t happen too badly.
The Rest of the Look
I used black and red Kryolan supracolour to complete the rest of the look. The black is a bit patchier than I’d like – I should have powdered with black eyeshadow instead of translucent powder.
My go-to look for a night out is a deep red lip and a red and/or black smokey eye. this is partly because red brings out the green in my eyes, partly because I think bold make up suits me and partly goth reasons.
You’ll find as you read the product list that everything in this looks is from one of two brands: Illamasqua and Kat Von D. I’m a long term fan of Illamasqua, both their products and their brand. Also, in all my customer experiences with them they have always been very friendly and helpful, including emailing me a list of their vegan products when I needed it.
The Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye contour palette I bought for it’s matte shades. As much as I love shimmer and glitter they’re not always the way forward, and this product put an end to my long search for a neutral, matte palette.
The most important thing about any smokey eye look is blending, with a clean, soft brush. I used one to blend the red and black together and then a different one to blend the black in to the base shadow and under the eye.
I also think it’s really important to go eyes then foundation with a look like this. There’s nothing worse than beautifully applying foundation and then ruining it with dropped black eyeshadow!
Foundation: Illamasqua Skin base 6 and 8 (Mixed)
Powder: Illamasqua Translucent
Blusher: Illamasqua cream blusher in Rude
Brows: Illamasqua Brow Cake in Gaze
Black Eyeshadow: Kat Von D Shax
Red Eyeshadow: Illamasqua Ensnare
Base shadow: Kat Von D Lateus
Highlight: Kat Von D Liberatus
Mascara: Illamasqua Masquara in Raven